Monday, May 4, 2009

WE WON! WE WON! WE WON!!




With and 18-0 perfect season and a defeat against The CAL Golden Bears, the mighty Cougars are the National Champions. In the most intense game of Rugby I have seen in all my life, and trust me, I have seen a few, our Cougars came out on top. Despite a card happy and pro- CAL ref we did what we set out to do. We got 4 yellow cards in all 2 overlapping. At one point in the game it was 13 to 15. Well 16 if you count the Ref, which I was because he was giving them penalty kicks every what felt like 3 seconds. Our boys didn't give up. When scrum half Shaun Davies ran the ball out and the final whistle blew we stormed the field. Jill and I were running around just bawling, I really truly don't think I have ever been happier. After hugging 15 sweaty men I found my mom, my dad my uncle and all of our friends that came down for the support. Thanks guys! After loads and loads of tears and pictures and screaming and the presentation of our Golden Eagle we got on the Bus and went back to the hotel. Danny, our bus driver from Beijing China blasted our music Wayne and Kimball (assistant coaches) got up and told the boys how proud of them they were. It was an amazing night.

Earlier that day during the Jersey Presentation Captain Steve St. Pierre handed out the teams jersey's and fellow senior Manti Su'a (who unfortunately was seriously injured in our first game against San Diego State) presented Stevie with his. By this point everyone was getting emotional and right as Manti handed Stevie his jersey Wayne-o did the Haka for him. By then no one could hold it in. Wayne himself was emotional. When I look at these men and see how hard they worked for this it brings tears to my eyes almost every time. They did what they set out to do, it was amazing and I am so glad I went. These men are such an inspiration to me and I am so glad I have them to look up to. The best part was probably seeing how happy my Dad and Wayne were. They then gave the trophy to Coach Segar and he held it taking pictures. He was the rugby coach before my dad was and has waited 40 years for this to happen. He told us this weekend that our Dad was one of his best players if not the best. BYU has only been able to go to the Final Four since 2003 because the games were held on Saturday and Sunday, now we we're abel to go and we took it all. Well done boys. We love you!

No comments: